Saturday, March 12, 2011

Addison turns 5....


And I decide we should host the party at our house....We usually don't host at our house.  I tend to find it not more cost effective (at least the way I do them ;) and A LOT more work.  However, this year Addi didn't really know where she wanted to go and about the start of the planning time, I got inspired.  After following a few links from a messageboard, I stumbled across this Olivia themed party...
Fantastic, totally inspiring Olivia party  And since Addison loves Olivia, it all just made sense. 

I actually started in February (trying hard not to procrastinate and therefore stress out).  I stalked Etsy- place of all homemade goodness looking for Olivia ideas. There, I saw an idea that led me to this sign:



I made this using Jen's cricut (which cuts bigger than mine) and lots of ribbon.  Using the basic red, black & white colors made it pretty easy to buy decor.













A close up...this was kinda fun to make.

Then I saw my first activity, name necklaces...I could have bought the kits for $4.50/each from the seller, but decided I could do them more cost effective at home.  I had to order the wooden beads to be finished & got hosed in shipping costs from the seller, otherwise these would have been really cheap to do.

These are in process...a little white spray paint goes a long way. Jason actually painted these...he got roped into quite a few projects for this party!



And this is how they turned out....not too bad! After they dried I used the Sharpie paint pens (which were AWESOME!) and wrote the letters on the blocks. I alternated red & black lettering & each was a different font (or the best I could do). I then put all the letters in a bag for each of the girls, which made it really easy at party time to pass out each kit. I also painted round beads black to use a spacers, some girls used them, some didn't. They only thing I wish I would have done is use a different string. I used the plastic lace & had a hard time knotting them to stay together. 




This was the integral part of the Olivia party- the huge cut out! I took some of Addi's books to Kinkos & had them blow it up to 36X48 (the color version was way too much).  I then used a spray glue to adhere it to foam core board.  After some trial & error (and 4 Xacto blades) I had a cut out Olivia!  When Addi saw it she said, "It's like she's really here!" That made all the hand cramps worth it! :)



The finished project.  I used red glitter glue to jazz  her up a bit.  I used sliver & red glitter glue to highlight her crown.  Then Jason used a stand I use for photo backgrounds to attach it to her & stand her up.  Addi is very excited to move this into her room! I colored copied other pictures & mounted them to black foam core board, so they had a "framed" look.



Addi showing off her party dress that I bought off of etsy. If only you could see the red & white striped leg warmers...too cute!

View of the kitchen from the entry way.  I used a muslin to make the tablecloth. When I was buying the muslin, I spotted the black & white polka dot fabric & decided we needed that too. I made a runner with that (just don't look too closely at it!)
Being cheesy while enjoying lunch with her friends.



Addison's cake.  I ordered this from a local bakery in downtown Plainfield.  I thought it turned out really good!


I made a few bouquets using fake roses & some jars & vases I had.  I had also ordered a digital round image of Olivia with different sayings that I used on her invite envelopes. I used these again for the bouquets.

I wasn't in the mood to deal with taking the labels off the jars, so I used a wide ribbon to cover it.  The ribbon was on Valentine clearance at Joann's - so even better!


I hung some tulle streamers & then used large buttons & ribbon to accent the corners.  Me & the hot glue gun were best friends by the time this party was over!


I found some fun hang-y things for the ceilings at Party City.  I also bought some Valentine ornaments from Joanns (also on clearance & begs the question, who needs valentine ornaments?!?) but it worked for my purpose!


And what party isn't complete without a feather boa?!?



The table & chairs.  We had to use the dining room table in the kitchen so we could fit all the girls.  I really didn't want 8 girls, food, and crafts on carpet.  So we switched the tables around & it worked great!


view from the sunroom



For the front door.  Also used Jen's cricut for this one...wonder if I should pay her a rental fee!?? :)



These were the goody bags.  I ordered them from etsy as well.  They are black canvas totes with the girls names embroidered on them.  In the goody bags were glitter playdough that I made (and I have the hot pink fingers to prove it), crayons and a folder with Olivia coloring pages. We also slipped their frames & necklaces in there, which made it easy when pick up time came. I made the 2 red hair bows on the outside of the bag, because Olivia likes her red hair bows!


Being sung to.....
Enjoying her cake...very sassy...
Reading her birthday card
Another shot of the table....you can even see the crumbs from the party! :)
playing pin the bows on Olivia.  We also played dress up relay, but I don't think that one was too big of a hit! 


I am sure there is more I am forgetting, but you get the idea.  I have a few ideas for Ella's party, so this should get interesting! 




3 comments:

abbysae said...

Looks fabulous! You should start a party planning business :)

Sydney's Mommy said...

Love it! Sydney's first virthday is next week and I thought I was being way too detailed but you have proven that it's never over the top for a liitle girls party! This is just fantastic! Btw- I love Etsy--just ordered some things from there! Can't wait to see future bdays!

Jessica said...

Jenni, What an awesome party!!! How fun it must have been to do all that crafting. You should totally start a party planning business. Hope you and your fam are doing well!!!